Bariatric Surgery is a treatment option for the patients with morbid or super morbid obesity. It is considered to be the most effective treatment for obesity. Moreover, it causes significant improvement in obesity related co-morbidities like type 2 diabetes, hypertension, joint pains, OSA, heart diseases, infertility and more.
This surgery helps an individual to lose weight by altering body’s food digestion and absorption. There are several surgical options, each having their benefits and risks, such as – Laparoscopic/ Robotic Sleeve Gastrectomy, a restrictive procedure, in which a Bariatric Surgeon reduces the capacity of the stomach to approximately 100 ml, so that the patient feels less hungry the whole day as the hunger hormone i.e.; Ghrelin is removed. There is a weight loss of 70% – 95% of excess body weight. Resolution of diabetes occurred in approximately 80%, HTN IN 70%-75% & OSA in about 90%. The quality of life improved from 2 to 8 or 9 out of 10.
Laparoscopic/ Robotic Roux-en-Y-Gastric Bypass, an effective procedure for weight loss and resolution of Diabetes, OSA, Hypertension. In this procedure a small pouch is created so that a large portion of small intestine is bypassed, before the digestion & absorption starts which results in drastic weight loss.
The choice of procedure should be made after a thorough discussion with the Bariatric Surgeon.
There are several lifestyle adjustments:
• Patient must learn to eat food in small amount and chew it well and slowly. After taking a bite, give 10 seconds gap and then another bite to avoid nausea or vomiting.
• A high protein diet is highly recommended to the post bariatric patients to avoid various health issues like hair loss, weakness, fatigue, etc.
• Follow up with Bariatric Surgeon and Bariatric Nutritionist is necessary in the first year after surgery and then as advised by the surgeon for dietary/ nutritional counselling.
• Weight Loss starts soon after the surgery and continues for a year.
• Improvements occur in obesity related medical conditions like Diabetes, Hypertension, Hypothyroidism, OSA, etc. without any medications.
• There is enhanced quality of life with improved stamina, mood, self-esteem and body image.